Saturday, March 5, 2011

Thoughts on joining a CSA

I've been contemplating the advantages of signing up for a CSA for the last year or so, and am once again trying to decide if this would be worth it for our family. I really like the idea of getting produce fresh from the farm. And I like that I would be supporting local, family farmers.

But I'm still holding back.

Last spring, when the time to sign on came, I hesitated. I was pregnant, and would have a newborn when the crops started rolling in. Was I really going to have the energy to experiment with new vegatables? So I passed.

This spring I've gotten the hang, mostly of running a household with three littles ones under my feet, but I'm still hesitating. I have two main fears:

1. Will anybody eat the food we receive? My four year old is notoriously picky. My husband is generally a good sport about trying my new creations, but I'm not sure how long that would last. The two little ones will eat anything, so I'm not so worried about them. Would I try everything? Hmmm...I'm rather notorious for being picky myself.

2. Does the cost make if feasable? $250 is almost our entire grocery budget for a whole month. If I still have to supplement with fruits and veggies we need more of, this could put a serious cramp in my summer grocery budget.

I know the answers already. Yes, people will complain, but it would be good for us to stretch our palates a bit. And yes, the cost is substantial, but if I start squirling away extra grocery money now I could easily have enough by early summer.

The real problem may just be a generalized fear of doing something I've never done before. Which means it's high time I went ahead and signed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment